Your teenage years should be the most fun, and the building blocks for the ‘rest of your life’ (cringey statement over). Here are the 10 mistakes you don’t want to make before Higher Education and the rest of your adult life.
1. Get in with the wrong crowd: You may think that burning your name into plastic on the back of the bus and smoking weed at the age of 12 is the ‘in’ thing to do, but when your lungs are in tatters and your brain the equivalent of SPAM, you may be setting yourself up for disaster.
2. Taking education as a joke: Let’s face it, you aren’t Bill Gates nor are you Alan Sugar, and if you’re 16 and still not a child prodigy and living off Mum and Dad for McDonalds money, your education is pretty much the only thing you have left. Don’t waste it!
3. Taking education too seriously: Slight contradiction, but if you don’t get A*’s I can also guarantee you it isn’t the end of the world either, if you’re achieving what you should be, don’t stress over it – until you’re up to your eyes in debt you shouldn’t be worrying.
4. Getting pregnant: Being a mother of two before your 16th birthday isn’t classy nor respected in the adult world, so if you’re fortunate (or) unfortunate enough to be in a ‘relationship’ before then, don’t be stupid.
5. Getting kicked out from your first job: Remember what Mum and Dad say – ‘First impressions always count’ as it would do for your first job. It’s giving you money and even if your manager is an asshole, they’re going to be the ones giving you a reference for future jobs.
6. Annoy your head of year at 6th form: They’re writing your reference for University, need I say more?
7. Getting into a relationship a few weeks before you and your other half go to Uni: No matter how much you text and call, you aren’t going to work. Alcohol + distance = recipe for disaster.
8. Spend all your savings: there’s only so much food and alcohol your loan can buy, and there’s only so much money your parents will fund your addictions with. Save money.
9. Worry about trivial friendships: If they stop speaking to you by the time you’re 16, It’s unlikely they’ll ever text you again. Stressing over pointless friendships is time and effort wasted. You’ll find better friends in no time.
10. Forgetting where you came from: When you spread your wings and fly off to the alcohol induced world of university you don’t want to forget who’s supporting and caring for you back home, your family (sadly) are the only people who will ever unconditionally love you, so try and remember them once in a while.
- There will be mistakes and wrong choices. (wiseslacker.com)