Vegetarian options are now becoming more popular than ever, mostly because buying fresh meat as a student is super pricy if you don’t have the money to spare! Here’s a super quick & easy veggie recipe that will keep you full for ages, and costs less than a fiver to make enough to last you 3/4 days. This is a go to recipe when you also have next to nothing left in the fridge.
The great thing about roasted veggies is that they can be used in pastas or even eaten cold if you don’t have the time to cook something.
- Paprika, salt & pepper for seasoning
- Any veg you want, we recommend Aubergine, courgette, peppers, onion & garlic for extra flavour. If you want to make enough to last you a few days, use as much as you can. If you are making one portion, use about half of each vegetable & 2 cloves of garlic.
- Olive oil or vegetable oil
- Chilli flakes
- Jalepeños (optional, makes it more like Nandos) (£1)
- White/brown rice. One serving is equivalent to 100g rice. (£1)
- Tomato passata (1 carton) (around 39p)
- Moroccan spice (can find this in any supermarket) (£1)
Cooking time: 25 mins.
- Get yourself a baking tray which has some depth to it. Put the oven on to 180 degrees.
- Peel the garlic and onion, put the garlic in whole and slice the onion roughly.
- repeat with all the other veggies.
- season with paprika, salt, pepper and drizzle some olive oil on top.
- Once the oven is hot enough, put the veggies in the oven. These will take 25 mins to cook. every 10 mins, take out the tray and shake so the veg doesn’t stick to the tray and they don’t burn.
- If you are using brown rice, put this on to boil before you put the veg in the oven as this takes longer to cook than white rice.
- Put your rice on to boil for 8-11 mins depending on what type of rice you’re using, we recommend standard long grain.
- drain rice once cooked and put a small amount of olive oil in a pot, pour in rice as well as a tbsp of Moroccan spice, a pinch of chilli flakes and chopped up Jalepeños (take out the seeds).
- Stir this in, then add around 100ml of tomato passata, this should give it a nice red colour and add some flavour.
- Take veggies out the oven once 25min is up, and serve with the rice!
- If you want to have more sauce, just add a little bit more when cooking the rice.