Easy cooking is something every student will appreciate at some point in their life and we all know it’s even better when it’s cheap! Here’s a recipe I learnt back in home economics classes which has been serving me well for years.
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
Ingredients: 2 leeks, sliced (70p)
25g butter or margarine
2 vegetable or chicken stock cubes (£1.25 for 12 cubes)
1l boiling water
345g arborio rice (£1.10 for 500g)
40g finely grated parmesan (£1 for 50g)
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan. Once melted, add the sliced leek. Fry on a medium heat for roughly 5 minutes until soft.
- Mix the stock cubes in 1l of boiling water in a measuring jug and stir.
- Add the arborio rice to the frying pan and add the stock a little at a time, stirring occasionally until absorbed. Once absorbed, add a little more until all the stock has been absorbed.
- TIP: If the rice is cooked, it should be soft with a little bite, not crunchy. If the rice is still undercooked, just add more stock and continue stirring occasionally..
- Stir in the parmesan and any seasonings to taste and serve!